PHP in templates is so last decade
Looks like if you want to run a WordPress site in the future, it’s going to cost you more money. On top of the hosting costs, you’re gonna get hit with a managed charge. Managed means that the hosting provider will hold your WordPress hand to make sure the software and it’s plugins are kept up to date.
Many years ago I dubbed WordPress a Virus. Now it seems that my predictions are coming true. The amount of script kiddie traffic, directed at WordPress sites, that a hosting provider has to put up with is getting down right annoying.
If I were a hosting provider, I’d refuse entry to WordPress on my servers, then I’d block any and all “wp-login” and related traffic at the firewall.
Shared hosting providers have resorted to security scans, probing the innards of client sites to see if a vulnerable WordPress plugin is installed. DreamHost used to send me an email every week, informing me that certain cross-references at PHPCrossRef contained vulnerable code. It wasn’t until I moved to a VPS, from a shared account, that the emails stopped.
WordPress claims to run 25% of the websites worldwide. That’s 25% of the web which is vulnerable, 25% of the web that generates unneeded traffic, 25% of the web that slows down the other 75%.
Out of that 25%, I would say that between 50 to 60% of the WP sites installed should of just been plain HTML sites. You’ve got a ton of single page WordPress sites that serve no dynamic purpose other than to infect the web.
Once upon a time you dressed so fine
You threw the bums a dime in your prime, didn’t you?